What is GRE?
GRE stands for Graduate Record Examination. It is a standardized Multiple choice test conducted by Education Testing Service (ETS). It is intended to measure all graduate’s abilities in tasks of general academic nature (regardless of their fields of specialization) and the extent to which undergraduate education has developed their verbal skills, quantitative skills, and abstract/critical thinking. It is a requirement for graduate schools in the US, but, it is not a necessity for Canadian schools. . GRE is computer-based and is taken by graduates looking to further their education through Masters or Doctoral degree programs. It comprises 3 sections quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning, and analytical writing.
Why Is GRE Important?
If you are lost on why you should write GRE or if GRE is right for you. Here are some reasons why you should consider writing GRE.
- GRE is widely used to get admission into graduate programs or to obtain a merit-based fellowship for graduate study.
- It is also a common graduate school entrance requirement for both master’s and doctoral degrees in a variety of fields, including engineering, humanities, and science.
- GRE score is accepted by top American universities.
- If you don’t have much work experience or a low undergraduate GPA, a strong GRE general exam score will assist you to get into graduate programs.
- Admission committees will compare your GRE results with those of other applicants during the admissions process.
- A high GRE score is beneficial for merit-based funding like grants and discounts for scholarships.
- Up to five GREs may be taken each year, with the highest score being submitted to the college of your choosing.
How Does GRE Work?
GRE offers both Computer-based and paper-based tests. You have the option to either write the GRE paper-based (with pencil) and objective or computer-based. GRE compresses 3 sections.
- Analytical writing: This measures how you out forth ideas and how you back them up with reasons. the section has 2 subsections which last for 30 minutes each.
- Verbal Reasoning: This measures your ability to analyse infor,ation from the discourse. This section has 2 subsection and you have 30 minutes for each.
- Quantitative Reasoning: This measures how you analyse quantitaative, geometric and graphical information. this section also have 2 subsections that last for 40 minutes each.
- Unscored and Research: This section deosn’t contribute to your score, they are mostly for research purposes. However, you won’t know which section is the unscored section.
The total score of the GRE exam is 340 and the lowest score is 260. the computer-based version is written throughout the year, while the paper-based version is written only three times a year.
Which Country Accepts GRE?
GRE is widely accepted in graduate schools for both master’s programs and Ph.D. programs in top UK and USA universities.
TAKE THE FIRST STEP TO STUDY ABROAD TODAY
Frequently Asked Questions
Schools offering science and social science education accept GRE; but can also accept in some cases for MBA, humanities and Arts courses.
For a result/score to be accepted, it is widely dependent on the schools been applied to.
The entire test takes between Three hours, forty-five minutes (3hrs45mins) to four hours (4hrs) with a break of One minute (1min) between tests and ten minutes (10 mins) before the third test during the exams.
GRE is offered at multiple centers across the country; GRE can be written multiple times depending on the availability of the centers.
Twenty-one (21) days; it can be rewritten if failed with an interval of twenty-one (21) but not more than five (5) time in a year. This applies to the test taker that cancels the scores on a test taken previously.
Yes, it is important because, the tutorial shows/teaches you the technicalities involved in answering the questions given; knowing the best way to answer and respond to questions asked.
GRE is computer based and the result can be viewed immediately after the test is submitted but, cannot be downloaded until after thirteen (13) days.
Yes, it be rescheduled but has to be done seven (7) days before the test date with an additional fee.
- The form filled at the office is the only important document needed for the registration.
- Data page of the International Passport is needed at the point of registration for verification of the Client details, but can be waive if the client is willing to attest to the form filled, that is content are the true position of the client
Your valid ORIGINAL International Passport and admissions ticket (generated after payment) are required and should be taken by the test taker to the test venue on the day of the test.
The score result validity is 5years.
Yes, some materials are made available to the applicant, both online and offline at a cost. The material made available for GRE is “Kaplan GRE” which contains CDROMs (to be used for stimulation practice) with past questions and test-taking strategies. There is an official guide that can be made available on request as we do not stock it.